The subclass 457 visa is abolished; and was replaced by the Temporary Skills Shortage (subclass 482) visa. It is similar to the Subclass 457, and allows business sponsors for nominating global employees. The period is for four years depending on the sponsored occupation.
The finer details
When the occupation appears on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List, the applicant gets the TSS visa for four years. Moreover, it can be renewed onshore for four years again. When the occupation is on the MLTSSL, a PR pathway is available after completing employment for three years in the nominated occupation with the same employer. When the occupation appears on the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List the applicant gets the TSS visa for two years. Also there is a possibility for renewing the visa onshore for two years again. The aim of the TSS Visa is assisting such businesses that face difficulties to find proper skilled labor in the industry.
The three streams of the TSS (subclass 482) Visa:
- The Short term visa stream is applicable to foreign workers who have an occupation on the Short-Term Skilled Occupation List. They will get the employment for 2 years, and the visa holders can renew this visa for one time onshore for two years again.
- The medium term visa stream is applicable to foreign workers who have an occupation on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List. They will get the employment for 4 years and can also opt for permanent residency after serving on the job by the nominating a sponsor on a TSS visa for 3 years.
- Labor Government Stream helps skilled foreign workers to get an employment in a labor agreement with the government.
Eligibility Requirements -Business Sponsor
- Labor Market Testing the employer sponsoring the application should provide proof of making attempts in recruiting for the nominated job from the local market..
- Minimum Market Salary – employers must also provide Emoluments to the employee on nomination which meets present industry rates in the country. This is the Australian Market Salary Rate. The salary has to be higher than the Threshold of Temporary Skilled Migration Income applicable while applying.
- Training Requirement – all employers who nominate a worker for the TSS visa must also make a contribution to the Skilling Australians Fund established by the Government. The annual share is $1,200 for businesses having the annual turnover of less than $10 million. There is an annual share of $1,800 for other businesses. It is fully payable while nominating the application.
Eligibility Requirements – Applicant
- Work Experience – all applicants must have the work experience of two years related to the nominated occupation.
- Police Clearances – all applicants must provide police clearances for every country they stay in, for the past ten years.
- English Ability all job holders listed on the Short-term stream must provide proof of English ability of IELTS 4.5 minimum in each test component. Holders of Occupations that appear on the Medium-term stream must provide proof of English ability of IELTS 5.0 in each test component.
Certain occupations have stipulations with them, and in case the business wants nomination in a particular occupation having such caveat, there are additional requirements to meet. Some examples are:
- Annual Turnover of AUD$1 million ,
- Employing five full-time staff members
- Positions of bookkeepers, clerks or clerical workers will not be sponsored in the occupation of an Accountant,
Australian employers offer many employment opportunities to skilled foreign professionals to meet their continuing demands.